We intend to establish a passive animal hospital and wildlife-rehabilitation care in Yazd, central Iran.
In the hospital many kinds of wild and domestic animals (varying in size from for example a rabbit or a cat to animals with the size of an adult horse or donkey) will receive medical treatment. The hospital will be established for animals which are injured or otherwise in need, but is also open for animal owners who want to have medical treatment for their animals, of course against paying the treatment costs.
Once the injured animals are cured and rehabilitated, wild animals will be returned to nature and domestic animals without an owner will be placed with a new owner or participate in for example the dog training programs of NGO Simba.
Recently, a student of University Twente designed a basic plan for the animal hospital and wildlife-rehabilitation care. This plan was designed according to the Nigel Cross design method 2005, pages 14 and further.
- Step 1, 2 and 3 according to the Nigel Cross method were completed, the rest of the seven steps need to be executed still.
- Building requirements and animal (hospital) requirements are present but dated.
- Water technology is not studied for the animal hospital, but a lot of information about water technology in other projects is available.
- The traditional architecture of Iran is considered, as well as earthquake resistance.
- Economic and environmental sustainability are well considered in the plan.
- The current project can be considered as a completion of the previous study, as well as a professionalization of the plans.
- Due to experiences in the past this assignment can only be completed by a strong group of students with multidisciplinary skills, like engineering, water and energy technology, architectural skills, video and marketing skills etc.
- Revise and complete the design, studies and calculations of the previous report of University Twente, including energy supply, water supply etc.
- Interior design of the animal hospital and wildlife-rehabilitation care including all required medical equipment etc.
- Exterior design of the hospital including landscape, stores, restaurant and teras, staying facilities employees and students, educational area, children’s farm and playing area etc.
- Create a business model for the center.
- Design a complete communication for sponsors about the project, including a presentation of the plan in 2D / 3D, a video presentation, news articles etc.
- A complete plan and cost calculation to introduce the project to funding organizations like WWF, UN etc.
The following information is already available and will be given to you at the beginning of the project:
- General technical points for designing this center.
- Previous study on the design of the building by university Twente.
- The available information about water technology.
Note: NGO Simba will supervise the students intensively. We will have comments and requirements in each step of the project. For example, for providing water and power we want renewable technologies to be considered etc. and we have general suggestions and comments which need to be followed. Next to that it should be noted that whenever students are comparing different methods or materials, we want to see the advantages and disadvantages of each method / material and comparison of them with each other.