Climatic variations in Fars province have caused a wide range of medical plants from different families to grow there. This factor has contributed to the province being the largest supplier of medicinal plants of the country. The families of medicinal plants in Fars province include amongst others Leguminoseae- Rosaceae- Cruciferae and Umbelliferae.
Many of the medicinal plants in Fars Province, like Crocus sativus-Oryza, sativa-Cerasus arium and Citrus limonum, are found only in certain parts and their distribution is limited. Others, like Peganum, harmala-Punica granatum- Triticum sp. have been widely distributed and are observed in other places too.
In the past, medicinal plants were collected by experts at a proper time, place and sustainable level by using correct techniques. However, the rise in medicinal plant trade has put the species at risk. About 30 percent of Iran’s medicinal plants are on the verge of extinction because of overharvesting.
On the other hand, development of production and utilization of medicinal plants is one of the most important ways of creating jobs for local people. Due to the current situation in the province, there are more possibilities of expanding production of medicinal plants and their products than before.
There are many supporting and incentive regulations, as well as plans to invest in Iran’s medical herbs field. However, this development should take place in a sustainable way, that bring profit to locals while at the same time it does not harm environment or even improves environment. In other words, the environmental footprint of the medical herbs trade shall be equal or less than its biocapacity.
As a case study, this project is considered as part of Khorshid project (www.ngosimba.nl/projects/khorsid), which means it will be implanted in Bourzakan village in Fars province. Our plan is to choose suitable medical herbs for this area, which require less water and bring more benefit for local people. The questions that we want to find answers for are:
- What to plant, how and where (greenhouse or farms).
- What can be added for processing in order to bring more added value.
- Market study in order to establish a guaranteed and sustainable business.
The following information is already collected and will be given to you at the beginning of the project:
- List of 102 medical herbs of Fars province
- This list includes species and family names of the plants, major features of botany, usable parts, effective substance and health benefits
- Environment situation of Iran
- Agriculture in Fars province
- Meteorological data and maps of Bourzakan
- Catalogue of Khorshid project
- At the beginning, a clear concept of the plan after primary studies.
- A news item for the website in which the students introduce themselves and their concept.
- Project plan report.
- Note: the project plan shall have amongst others but not be limited to instruction including what, when and how to plant, and answer the three questions mentioned before.
- Cost estimation and analysis.
- If applicable, design of the greenhouse 2D and 3D (if possible).
- PowerPoint presentation.